Electric heaters are used in most of the houses during the winter. This electronic appliance is very effective in heating a house and helps in maintaining the room temperature.
Precautions should be taken while handling the electric heater, as they are the causes of fires in most homes. Electric heaters can be dangerous and hence proper safety measures should be taken.
1. While selecting an electric heater always consider the safety measures. Ensure that the heater has a safety knob, which automatically turns off the heater incase of a short circuit or overheating. Select the heater according to the type of the room that you want to heat.
2. Shop wisely in order to thwart malfunctions. Make comparison of various electric heaters for their safety ratings in order to select the most reliable heater. Always check the heater thoroughly for missing safety guards and electrical cords before purchasing. Avoid making use of an extension cord and if necessary use a heavy-duty cord that has a 14-gauge wire.
3. Never place an electric heater near flammable items as they can catch fire very easily. Keep your heater three feet away from items like furniture upholstery, carpets, curtains, pressurized container etc.
4. Special precautions should be taken if you have pets or children in your house. A mesh guard over the heating area helps in keeping pets and children away from the heating coil. Place the heater at a higher surface away from the reach of the pet and the children.
5. Ensure that the heater is placed at a large surface to prevent it from falling. Never place the heater on a padded chair as it could fall over quite easily from there.
The heater should be placed on sturdy furniture rather than lightweight furniture in order to avoid it bending under the heaters weight. Keep the surface of the heater dry in order to avoid electrocution.
Never place the heater near a water source like the sink or the bathroom. The heater poses the danger of shocks due to water present in these areas. The best place to keep these space heaters is the living room and the bedroom.
6. The portable electric heater tends to heat up very fast and hence may even cause fire due to overheating. Hence, it is required to allow it to cool after every use. Avoid using it continuously for long stretch of time. Switch it off when not in use thus saving energy and money.
Taking a few precautions with the electric heaters can ensure that you enjoy the warmth and comfort of your house.Tags: Electric Heater, Electric Heaters, Heater, Heaters